The Civic Theatre is supported by our volunteer ushers, why not become one of them? Whatever your skills or experience, we are always looking for people who are passionate about theatre and are enthusiastic. Develop new skills and meet lots of wonderful like-minded people in the process; so get in touch and we can talk about what’s right for you.
Why should I become a Civic Theatre volunteer?
- You get to work with a lovely, like-minded group of people
- You will learn and develop customer service skills
- You will see a diverse range of events at the theatre, plus can avail of complimentary tickets for friends and family to certain performances.
- You will have the opportunity to work in and learn about the theatre and arts industry.
- You gain useful experience for your CV
- You will be part of a team keeping the Civic growing as a major Arts and Community resource for South Dublin and surrounding area
Who are our volunteers?
Our Volunteer Usher Programme is for individuals aged between 16 and 23 years of age. The programme was first developed from our youth arts schools programme TENDERFOOT for transition year students and those initial volunteers have stayed with us until graduation from third level.
- All ushers must be able to commit to 2 evenings per week including weekends/evenings.
- All ushers on duty must be in half an hour before the start of a show; for example if a show starts at 8pm you will start at 7.30pm.
Skills, Experience & Qualities Required
- Intermediate level of English
- Good communication skills
- Professional but welcoming manner
- Interest in theatre or the arts
- Good timekeeping
Training & Induction
- The volunteer will receive an induction to the theatre’s health and safety policies, fire safety policies and training on the role & responsibilities of an Usher.
- The volunteer will receive instructions from the Duty Manager upon arrival at the theatre for that night’s performance.
Support & Supervision
- The Box Office Manager will be the direct supervisor for this role.
- The volunteer will receive instruction and duties from the Front of House Duty Manager.
How to Apply
There are many different ways to apply, and let us know that you’re interested in volunteering at the Civic.
Please complete and submit the enquiry form below – and our Box Office Manager, Sandra Doyle, will get back to you as soon as possible to arrange a mutually convenient date and time for you to drop in, find out more about the role and agree the next step.
Alternatively, you can email email@example.com directly, or click here to download a hard copy of the application form.