The Board of The Civic is seeking an outstanding and talented individual for the position of Artistic Director who will lead the theatre with passion, invention and dedication to new levels of artistic achievement. S/he will have the courage and originality to lead the theatre in his/her distinctive way while remaining true to its mission.
The Artistic Director will be a confident and persuasive leader, and will inspire and motivate staff, artists, audience, funders and other stakeholders. S/he will lead The Civic’s strategic thinking and planning.
The Artistic Director reports to the Board of Directors, and is responsible for ensuring the theatre achieves its artistic, audience and financial objectives.
The Civic is supported by South Dublin County Council and the Arts Council of Ireland / An Chomhairle Ealaíon. It is a registered charity.
- To provide strong, inspirational and high profile leadership to enable The Civic to achieve its artistic and strategic objectives within a changing cultural and commercial environment.
- To create a programme of high quality theatre, dance, opera and music from a diverse range of productions from Ireland and abroad, including Civic Theatre productions, co-productions & tours.
- To develop the widest possible audience for The Civic’s work, particularly amongst those people living in South Dublin county and its environs and to champion its commitment to accessibility and affordability.
- To support The Civic’s Tenderfoot team and help it to develop and deliver the TENDERFOOT programme (see www.civictheatre.ie).
Creative and entrepreneurial leadership
- To initiate and develop artistic and educational collaborations and creative partnerships that will support the artistic and business objectives of The Civic and help it achieve its ambitions.
- To broaden and diversify The Civic’s sources of income including, through fund-raising, exploitation of the artistic programme and other opportunities such as capital development.
- To lead and develop strong and productive relationships with The Arts Council of Ireland, South Dublin County Council, the theatre industry, the media and other existing and potential partners to enhance The Civic’s profile and activities within Ireland and internationally.
- To create a positive, open and responsive working environment and cultural ethos that is conducive to the attainment of the highest standards of artistic endeavour.
Organisational and financial
- To oversee and ensure the effective, responsible and solvent financial management of The Civic including the creation and implementation of business plans, the presentation of comprehensive management accounts and financial reporting and fulfilment of statutory requirements.
- To attend and report at meetings of the Board of Directors; to communicate appropriate information to the Board on all matters relevant to the running of the venue; to assist the Board in the discharge of its governance and other responsibilities; and generally to maintain an open and collegiate working relationship with the Board and facilitate their engagement, both as a Board and individually, with The Civic and its work.
- To oversee the recruitment, professional development, working conditions, management and regular performance appraisal of The Civic’s full-time staff and to ensure these align with The Civic’s objectives and policies, in compliance with all applicable enactments and regulations, and in accord with current best practice.
- To ensure staffing structures are responsive to emerging needs and conducive to effective team working.
The list of responsibilities is not exhaustive and may be reviewed from time to time by the Board. The appointee may be required to perform duties outside of this as operationally required and at the discretion of the Board.
Skills and experience required
- Proven record of managing a venue.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the theatre industry and arts funding.
- Clarity of artistic vision and ambition, with a passion for contemporary theatre that explores and addresses social and political issues as well as theatre that engages and entertains.
- Proven ability to attract and collaborate with companies and artists of the highest calibre.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, commercial acumen and ability to lead The Civic.
- Demonstrable knowledge of marketing and audience development.
- Good knowledge and understanding of education and community work.
- Proven ability to work in partnership, connect and collaborate with others both internally and externally.
- A supportive and empowering management style with the ability to inspire and motivate others.
- Ability to delegate, negotiate, resolve conflict, be responsive to others and manage performance.
- A genuine commitment to the principles of equal opportunity, cultural diversity and broadening access to the arts.
Contract: Contract will be for an initial period of three years to commence from date of appointment – anticipated to be late January 2016, with a view to extending the contract for a further period as required by the Board. A 10 (ten) week notice period will apply. A 12 Month Probationary period will apply with an initial six month review by the Board.
Remuneration: Commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae by post clearly stating ARTISTIC DIRECTOR on the envelope by 5pm on Thursday 19th November 2015 to:
Board of Directors
Please provide contact details for two professional referees who will only be contacted at interview stage. All applicants must be available for interview in Dublin on Thursday 26th and Friday 27th November 2015.